How do i know my RAM is faulty?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Joyce M Cody .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Philip Steuber
    Participant
    @psteuber

I was not getting the display on my desktop screen. My nephew told me to change the RAM. Should I buy and change the RAM or something I can check before buying it?

Please also describe the symptoms of faulty RAM.

Ruthie Franecki
    Participant
    @ruthie

There are few procedures which indicate your RAM is not working or faulty. RAM is temporary memory which stores data till desktop is on. After turning off RAM erase all the stored data.

Once any system starts all the windows files places from the hard disk drive to RAM. Once all necessary files copied into RAM then system start displaying screen. So the first detection of faulty RAM is no display.

No display is mostly caused by RAM. If a spinning sound is coming from desktop and giving no display maximum chances of faulty RAM.

Turn off the system and open desktop case. Look at the motherboard there should be a long chip in the vertical form or plugged in the jack just like the image below.

There would be a notch on every corner of the jack. Slide both the jack and easily remove the RAM. Now clean RAM copper strip by using a pencil eraser or white paper although clean jack also using paper.

Plug it back in and lock the jack again. Turn on the computer and it will start properly. Still having the issue try to change the RAM.

Susie Morar
    Participant
    @msusie

Very good explanation by┬áRuthie Franecki above in the answer. If the above steps don’t work and still you are not getting display on your screen, try another method to check your RAM.

Sometimes we don’t know motherboard has also a limited capacity of RAM. Usually, the motherboard came with 4 GB expandable memory using two slots.

Everyone wants higher RAM memory in your system and increase his or her RAM without checking the motherboard is capable or not. Just like you have Intel motherboard and using 4 GB (2-2 GB two RAMs in two slot). Now if you want to increase your RAM you will definitely replace one 2 GB RAM with 4 GB of RAM.

Now you have 6 GB inserted into motherboard and motherboard has the capacity of only 4 GB. In this case, you would not get any display despite your all the RAM are in working condition.

So before upgrading RAM or thinking RAM is faulty make sure you are not using RAM over the capacity of the motherboard.

Bianka Mitchell
    Participant
    @mbianka

The simplest method removes from the nonworking desktop and plugs into an already working desktop. If RAM is faulty it won’t turn on or no display.

If it is working it means the problem is in your previous desktop. It might possible motherboard faulty.

Joyce M Cody
    Participant
    @cody-joyce

You should buy a new RAM if you are using only one RAM. If old RAM is faulty new will work for you but if both RAM is working your system performance will increase.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.