When you take a look on Gmail community (google product forum for Gmail), You will see a vast number of Gmail users are reporting about sign in problem.
Typically, users encounter login issues with their Gmail account due to the password, browser or server configuration problems.
But apart from this, There can be some other reasons as well, which may cause, “can’t sign into Gmail” problem.
If you are also the one, who is here to complain about sign in problems your Gmail account. Keep reading this article and follow the steps to troubleshoot the problem.
Complete Guide To Fix Can’t Sign Into Gmail Account
Verify the username & password-
When you can’t sign in to Gmail account, firstly, you should check the username and password for your email account.
Most of the time, users are entering the wrong username or password for their account. That’s why they are incapable of accessing their Gmail account.
Especially, typing the wrong password.
So it would be best if you wrote down the Gmail password on a notepad, and then copy it and paste it into the Gmail login form.
Reset the Gmail password-
If you are getting “this password was changed a while ago” error, While you didn’t change the password.
It indicates Some anonymous person has changed the login credentials for your account. That’s why you can’t access the Gmail account using the valid password.
In such a case, you should reset the password using the following tricks.
- Go the gmail.com website.
- Click on the sign-in button available in the top menu bar.
- Put in your email address and press the next key.
- Now Click on forgot password link.
- Type the last known password, through which you have logged in successfully before.
- Now choose your recovery method.
- Finally, verify the account, once you will check the account, you will get an option to create a new password. Now you may generate a new Gmail password. Now do not share this password with anyone else.
Check the Gmail server status-
It happens rarely, but sometimes, you may have the Gmail sign in problem due to the server down.
When there is a glitch on the Gmail server, or it is updating.
It may keep you away to access your email.
In such a case, you have to wait until the google confirms that there is working fine now.
To check the server status, you may visit: down detector or Gmail’s official twitter handle.
Autofill settings are incorrect-
when you can’t sign in to your Gmail account using the autofill settings. It would be best if you tried to login your account by typing the password manually.
If you can log in successfully, it means the autofill settings are incorrect.
That’s why you can’t access your Google account.
In such a case, you should update the password on your autofill settings.
For briefing- I am sharing the instructions to update the autofill settings on chrome browser.
- Open the Chrome and type chrome://settings in the address bar, now press the enter button.
- Click on the advanced option.
- Scroll it down, under the autofill settings option, click on password.
- Now bang on manage saved password in your google account.
- Click on edit button and select your email address.
- Now you need to remove the old password and type the new password.
- Click on ok.
So this is the steps to update the autofill settings on chrome. Just like that, you may do it on your other browsers.
Clear browsing data-
sometimes, you can’t sign into Gmail account due to the dead cookies or cache files.
When your browser is using the old cookies, which is not useful anymore, it won’t be able to sync with the Gmail server.
In such a case, you will face the Gmail sign in problem.
So you should remove the cookies and cache files and then try to reaccess your Gmail account.
Clear browsing data on google chrome-
- open the google chrome and click on the menu icon.
- Now click on history option.
- Click on the clear browsing data from the left menu.
- Take the time limit as all time, and tick all boxes.
- Finally, Click on clear data.
Remove the cookies, and cache files from Firefox-
- Open the Firefox and click on the menu icon.
- Select the privacy and security option.
- Select cookies and data sites.
- Now click on manage data button.
- Press the remove all shown button and then hit the save changes button.
Remove the cookies and site data on safari –
To clear the browsing data on safari, you need to follow the instructions given below.
- Click on the safari and press the history tab.
- Beneath the Privacy tab, bang on remove all website data.
Update the DNS Address on your computer-
If you are not reachable to the Gmail website and shows, can’t load this page error.
You need to update the DNS address on your windows and mac computer.
To update the DNS address on windows computer-
- Open the run box (press the Windows + R key together)
- Type ncpa.cpl and press the ok button
- Right-click on your network adapter, and click on properties.
- Select TCP/IPV4 and click on properties again.
- Click on the use the following DNS address
- Type primary address- 220.127.116.11 and secondary Address as 18.104.22.168
Finally, Click on ok and reboot the computer once.
For Mac pc users, –
- Continue to the network preference (system preference >> click on the network).
- Select your network adapter and click on the advanced key.
- Click on DNS address and Push the + button.
- Type 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.
- Click on ok.
Verify The Two-Step Factors-
If you have enabled the two-step security on your account.
But now can’t access the Gmail account because you don’t have that phone number with you anymore. you should use other methods to verify the account.
Troubleshoot Gmail login error on outlook or another third party app-
If you can’t sign in to your Gmail account using the outlook or other mail programs.
You should do the following things:
Check the internet connection on your computer-
Firstly, make sure the internet is accessible on your pc.
If you can’t access the internet, you need to troubleshoot the connection first.
Check the time and date-
If your computer has been set up with the incorrect time and date, the mails will not be able to sync to the Gmail server.
In such a case, you will suffer the Gmail login problem.
If you have an incorrect time and date, go ahead and correct them.
Enable the pop / Imap settings-
never forget to enable the pop/ IMAP feature on your Gmail account.
If you do not turn on this feature, your app won’t be able to sync with the mail server.
Due to which you will get into the Gmail login problem.
- Go to the settings on your Gmail account.
- Press the forward and IMAP/ pop tab.
- Enable the mail server, whichever you want to use.
- Snap-on save.
Fix Gmail sign in problem on iPhone-
If you can sign in to your Gmail account using the web browsers but unable to sign in to your Gmail using the iPhone.
You should remove the account and add it again.
To do that, you may copy those directions.
- Approach the settings on your iPhone.
- Touch the accounts and passwords.
- Tap on your Gmail account, and click on delete account.
- Now Click on the Add account and Fill the email address and password to configure the Gmail account.
Use Gmail official app –
If your mail app is crashing many times, while you try to load the Gmail, you should install the official Gmail app on your iPhone, and configure your account on it.
Fix Gmail not working on android phone-
Just like the iPhone, If the Gmail is not working on your android phone.
You should remove the account from your phone and configure it again.
Or you may use the Gmail official app for better accessibility.
So this is the complete guide to fix Gmail sign in problem.
If you have any other obstacles with your Gmail account, let us know, we will assist you in troubleshooting the problem.
People also search for: Why Is Gmail Not Receiving Emails