Check any cut or burning spark onto the charging cable, if the Lenovo laptop battery not charging even plugged into the ac adapter. The problem might be related to this Lenovo notebook battery or various other parts associated with the laptop itself.
Lenovo Thinkpad may not charge due to-
- The charging adapter is no more in working condition.
- The charging cable has broken from inside.
- Lenovo’s battery is very old to work.
- Inside the laptop, the charging integrated circuit has damage.
- There might be a windows operating system or application issue that doesn’t allow charging.
- BIOS software issue, won’t let charge the Lenovo laptop.
Methods To Fix The Lenovo Laptop Battery Not Charging
Parts involve in the Lenovo laptop battery charging function are responsible for the charging failure.
Read about it and apply fixing steps one by one, if the previous one is not helping to fix the laptop charging problem.
Check The Charging Power Adapter
Once your Lenovo notebook isn’t charging, then check the power adapter first.
Please make sure that the power cable isn’t broken up, and there is no cut or spark mark.
If you have an extra charging adapter, try to charge the laptop with that. Let us see if it’s charging now or not.
In case you don’t have another power adapter use these techniques to charge.
- Dis-assemble the battery out of the Lenovo notebook computer.
- Plug-in charging adapter to the laptop and power it on.
- In this case, if the Lenovo laptop is working fine, there is no issue with your charging adapter.
Review The Charging Connector
A broken charging connection wire won’t allow charging the battery of Thinkpad. Sometimes, dust or tiny objects can stick into the charging socket.
This dust barrier can cause Lenovo laptop plugged in not charging issue.
You should clean the charging socket with the help of a paper pin or clip. You can also use the mobile spudger or brush to pull out the dust.
Now, plug in the charger to the socket and check either is it charging or not. Still having the issue go to the next step to check the broken connection wire.
Reconnect Broken Charging Wire
A wire between the charging socket and motherboard can break and stop battery charging. For reconnecting you need solder and screwdriver.
- Shutdown the laptop and remove the charger.
- Turn backside and remove all the screws using a screwdriver.
- Carefully open the back lid of the Lenovo laptop as well as find the broken wire near the charging socket.
- Check the positive and negative points and reconnect it using heat soldering.
- Now, connect the charger and check the charging light should on.
Lenovo Laptop Battery Not Charging Due To Faulty Battery
A red cross or no charging sign light on your Lenovo laptop shows an issue related to the battery. Lenovo laptop can’t run on a faulty or damaged battery.
So, if the Lenovo laptop suddenly gets turn off after removing the charger, replace the battery.
You may confirm the battery issue by the following steps-
- First, shut down the laptop and remove the charger.
- Now, remove the battery from your Lenovo laptop, and plug in the charger adapter.
- Push the power button to turn on the laptop and boot it to the windows screen once.
- Once the laptop is completely on, shut down it once again, and remove the charging adapter.
- Now, Insert the battery into your laptop and turn it on.
- Further, connect the charger as well as check the charging light on your Lenovo laptop.
Still, there is a red cross on the battery icon, it means the battery is dead and the Lenovo laptop has stopped charging. In such a case buy a new laptop battery online or nearby Lenovo store.
Check Battery Threshold
The threshold feature allows setting the charging limit of a laptop.
For example- If your Lenovo laptop starts charging at 35% and it stopped at 55%, it means there is a custom threshold enabled into your computer.
In such a case, you have to disable the custom threshold or set up again in the following settings.
- Open the control panel and go to the power settings on your Lenovo laptop.
- Choose the custom threshold option.
- Click on ‘Turn off the threshold’.
- Restart the laptop and check the charging percentage.
Power Reset The Lenovo Laptop
Charging ic or operating systems of the laptop creates cookies of the settings. Sometimes, misplaced or new settings cookies fail to update the old cookies.
In this case, the laptop requires a power reset process for once. So, it can release the existing power from the ic’s and then save new settings.
Power reset process on your Lenovo laptop-
- Turn off the laptop and unplug the charger.
- Remove the battery from the Lenovo laptop as well.
- Now, press and hold the power button on your laptop for 30 seconds.
- Release the button and press again for holding 30 seconds. Perform this 3-4 times.
- Insert the battery as well as connect the charger.
- Now turn on your laptop and check its working normal.
Update The Battery And Charging Adapter Driver To Fix Lenovo Laptop Battery Not Charging issue
Sometimes Lenovo laptop battery not charging issues occurs due to the power driver’s problem.
When the drivers are outdated, won’t able to drive your hardware correctly. A corrupt file of power management driver also causes many issues related to charging.
So, in this case, you have to update the battery and ac adapter drivers of the laptop.
- Connect Lenovo/ThinkPad laptop to the internet through wifi or LAN cable.
- Open the device manager window through run > devmgmt.msc > ok.
- Expand the batteries or power section.
- Now, right-click on each driver by one and click on update driver.
- Further, after updating the driver restart the laptop to apply all the updates.
Uninstall The Lenovo Energy Management Application
Lenovo energy management application gives you access to change battery performance and power settings of the laptop.
You can increase the charging capacity as well as the battery backup. Wrong changes and corrupt files of Lenovo energy management causes lots of trouble related to battery and power.
To fix the issue uninstall the energy management application and reinstall it from the Lenovo support website.
Update and Reset The BIOS Settings To Fix Lenovo Laptop Battery Not Charging
The power settings of BIOS also causes charging issues with the laptop. First, reset the BIOS to fix the issue otherwise update it.
- Restart the Lenovo laptop and keep pressing Del or delete button continuously to open BIOS settings.
- Note: some models have different buttons allotted for opening BIOS. So, check the manual for the BIOS key.
- From the right or bottom menu find the BIOS factory default and click on it.
- Restart the laptop and check the charging issue.
After updating if there is an issue, please check Lenovo’s laptop won’t turn on how to fix it?.
Motherboard Or Power IC Related Issue
There can be some fault in the power ic or motherboard if none of the above solutions fix the issue.
In this case, visit the nearby Lenovo service care and fix it.
These are the instructions on how to fix a Lenovo notebook charging issue. I expect you will find this site helpful.
Also, please help others by sharing this blog on your social websites and reaching more audiences.