“Port forwarding on Netgear is the network process, through which you can send or receive data from one point to another directly. This traffic or data (we call it to the packet in network technology) will bypass the networking devices like- router, firewall, modem, etc.”
Port forwarding mostly uses for CCTV cameras or gaming server setup. These network devices need high-speed internet without a firewall.
How Do Works Port Forwarding On Netgear Router?
Online games like Xbox, play stations need to connect every time with the gaming server. The router does not consider this activity as a secure activity and blocks the connection.
Port forwarding reserve a specific ip address on your Netgear router for gaming or CCTV. After that, your router will bypass the firewall security and connect directly to the server.
Before forwarding the port on your router, you must know a few things.
- Port number that you need to unblock.
- Device’s ip address.
- Server type (FTP Or Http)
Find the port number of the device on their official website as well as manual and begin the forwarding process on your Netgear wifi router.
How to enable port forwarding on Netgear router?
Till now, we have learned about the usage of the port forwarding feature; now, it’s a time to learn how to do it?
In this guide, I am sharing the steps to do the port forwarding through various methods like-
- Router admin panel.
- Netgear genie.
- Netgear nighthawk app.
You can use any method through which you want to enable the port forwarding on your Netgear router.
Port Forwarding Through Router Admin Panel-
Might possible some old phones won’t allow the Netgear genie app. In case you can forward the port through this guide.
- Connect the laptop or computer to the Netgear router.
- Now switch on the router & computer.
- Open the webpage and visit routerlogin.net on the browser.
- Type your router login name and password and hit the sign-in button.
- Under the advanced option, select the port forwarding.
- Now choose port forwarding as a service type.
- Now you may select the service name from the drop-down menu.
- Type the ip address of your device and push the add button.
- Finally, bang on the apply changes button.
For Netgear Genie App-
If you have installed the Netgear genie app on your computer or laptop use this guide to do port forwarding on your Netgear router.
- Open the netgear genie app.
- Click on the advanced tab and then choose advanced setup from the left menu.
- Choose the port forwarding or port triggering option from the advance menu.
- Choose your service type; If you don’t see your service type from the list (rest of the instructions are the same as we did for the router admin panel), you can push the add custom service button.
- Give it a name for the port as well as type your devices ip address.
- Type the incoming and outgoing port no.
- Now press the save button.
For Nighthawk App-
If you are using a nighthawk router, you can enable the port forwarding using these steps.
- Let’s connect your smartphone to the Netgear wifi router.
- Open the nighthawk app and click on the network map.
- Now choose the forwarding option and begin the port forwarding.
So this is the guide to bypass the firewall or turn on the port forward on your Netgear router for a specific port.
Important notes about Netgear Port forward-
- All Netgear router ports become close by default for incoming traffic.
- All the Netgear ports do close for outgoing traffic.
- The same port can use for incoming and outgoing traffic on the router.
- TCP and UDP traffic passes through the same port until the user doesn’t define port information.
- Port numbers define according to the device type and its manual.
- Windows, MacBook, and Unix use the same port numbers.
- The server needs to define a specific port number as well as ip address in the router.
- Also below are some most useful port numbers.
I hope it will help you in troubleshooting the issue. Further, in case after port forwarding router won’t work read Fix Netgear Nighthawk Router Not Working Problem.