These days, there are so many yahoo mail users complaining about account security. According to them, they feel like their account has been compromised.
And the anonymous person is sending emails to their contacts from their account.
These kinds of activities are very normal if you are not keeping your yahoo account secure.
How to recognize If your account has been compromised?
If your yahoo account has been compromised by someone, you must be facing some of these errors.
- Can’t sign into yahoo account and getting a password has been an error, while you didn’t change the password.
- Yahoo is sending spam mails (promotion mails, money-related emails, etc. ) to your contacts.
- Your recovery information has been changed.
- Getting a suspicious login notification.
- Yahoo not receiving new emails.
- Emails are missing from the inbox or other folders.
- The mail signature has been changed.
If you are facing any kind of issues related to these errors. You should consider securing your account.
How to secure your yahoo mail account for the future?
Change the password-
Whenever you feel like- your account has been compromised. You should reset the password for your yahoo account first.
To reset the password, you may follow these steps.
- Let’s get into the yahoo account.
- Click on your yahoo profile picture and click on account info.
- Go to the account security from the left menu, and click on change password.
- Now you need to click on I would rather use my password.
- Finally, you will get a form to create a new yahoo password, so type your password and click on done.
Sign out the not recognized devices-
Once you will change the yahoo mail password, you should sign out the yahoo account from the suspicious devices.
- Go back to the account info again.
- Click on the recent activity.
- Now you will able to see the list of devices, on which your account is logged in right now. You may click on the sign out button available next to each device.
Check the recovery option –
After doing the above activity, you should check the recovery option on your yahoo account. If you see any phone number, email address. Which is not yours, you should remove them instantly.
- Go back to the account info again.
- Click on the account security.
- Check the recovery options there.
Enable two-step security-
To keep your yahoo mail account more secure, you should enable the two-step security on your account. So whenever you or someone will try to sign in to your account on a new device.
You will receive an OTP on your phone, which you have to enter on that device.
Only then you will be able to access your email account.
Delete the unwanted Email filters-
Let’s remove the unwanted email filters from your account, so your emails will not get deleted automatically.
- Go to the yahoo mail settings.
- Click on the email filters.
- Select the filter, which you want to delete and press the delete button.
Disable the auto-forwarding settings-
If you are unable to get new emails on your yahoo account, you should check the auto-forward settings. Most probably, someone has enabled the forwarding, that’s why emails are jumping to the other destination.
So you need to delete your emails from the account and follow the instructions.
- Return back to the yahoo mail settings again.
- Click on the mailbox >> select your email.
- Now if you see any email address under the forwarding settings, you need to remove it from the account.
Review the mail signature-
Last but not the least, you should never forget to review the email signature. When your account is compromised, the person may change the mail signatures and they can make their own.
So these are the steps to secure your yahoo mail account if it got compromised. In case, if you have any other questions, you may ask in the comment below.